Saturday, September 17, 2005

The kitchen project

So recently theBellyDancer said to me, you have been blogging a lot about work lately. Well that’s true, but honestly I am a pretty straight forward blogger, I blog about what I am doing or what is going on in my life at that moment. And lately a lot of what has been going on has been work.

But this weekend I decided it was high time I got back to the apartment and did some projects I have been neglecting. So after going out for a bike ride this morning on the tandem bike (always fun) and stopping at a yard sale (always trouble) I got started on two projects.

The First project was the kitchen. As some of you know we sold our house back in April/may in order to pay off all our debt and better position our selves should I get laid off. Well a side effect of that was I lost the gas stove we bought that I loved (it conveyed) and I had to start again on making a functional kitchen for the way we cooked.

When we moved into our new apartment there was the standard stove, sink and fridge. And all we had for storage space was a built in hutch. So first thing we did was bring in the prep table I had built for the last kitchen. Which I think is pretty cool if I do say so myself, it’s top is made from a piece of a shuffle board floor which still has a foul line on it. The rest of it I constructed from different woods I got at Pow Mac and then stained to give it a contrasting look.

Well that was good for a start but certainly not enough, so then we added some shelves, a pot rack, and most importantly a pegboard. The shelves are an obvious addition, and probably the pot rack, but the peg board idea came from Julia Childs kitchen she had this Ginormous Pegboard wall where she hung most of her pots and pans. After seeing this I immediately went back to our house at the time and put one in. There we hung all our odds and ends that normally ended up lost in a drawer or in the back of a cabinet somewhere never to be seen again. At least never to be found when you needed them. Once we did this at the last house, I knew this is right for the way we cook. So finally I got the pegboard installed in the apt and immediately the kitchen began to feel like we could work in it.

I can’t wait to cook or bake something in the new kitchen cause now I am sure to know where everything is. Which is important when you are knee deep in a recipe and looking for that one item that can make or break a dish. Like an instant read thermometer.

4 Comments:

Blogger thisismarcus said...

Nice rack!

9:01 AM, September 18, 2005  
Blogger erika said...

let's bake!

2:25 PM, September 18, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! My first official mention in a blog. It's nice to know you're as insanely productive at home as you are at the office.
theBellyDancer

2:36 PM, September 18, 2005  
Blogger The Information Officer said...

After I finish redoing the dining room, then the cook fests begin.

Looking forward to catching up with some people I haven't seen in a long time and forcing them to cook in my kitchen.

And baking with some people I have never cooked with before.

9:43 PM, September 18, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home