Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Cleaned out...

I went in this morning to pack up my stuff from my old/former office. I took with me two boxes, those paper boxes that you get all your 8.5 x 11 paper shipped to you in if you work in an office environment. In my estimate a great size if you need to clean out your office cause you’ve been laid off.

So I start cleaning out my stuff and it isn’t long before I realize I am going to need one more box. WTF, I was sure that I didn’t have that much stuff there. That I had taken it all home, slowly over time knowing that one day I would end up in this very predicament. And yet there I was with more stuff than could fit in my two boxes.

Now mind you there was a lamp, a fan, and a side table from my old office that I had to take home as well, but I wasn’t including that in my list of ‘stuff’ that will now need more boxes. Instead the items that were maxing out my boxes were card binders that I had made over the years, by buying cards at comic shops during my travels. And these binders were useful many times during the course of my career there which makes you wonder why I was the only one who ever did this.

Well that’s not true I am the only one in the art dept. who ever did this, I got the idea from chuck. The idea to look at what other people were doing was an obvious one, but the idea of collecting samples of what everyone else was doing and alphabetizing them in a card binder was spurred by seeing chuck doing it. I then went a step further and started keeping booster wraps and certain packaging samples, all of which now needed to be packed up.

Then there was the various bric-a-crap, such as a coaster that I put on the desk of every office I inhabit, a large collection of tea bags (brand new & unused), an incredible collection of file folders from all the projects I had worked on lately (that I just left behind, they could keep those), my personal calculator, dictionaries (Japanese and English) thesaurus, synonym and antonym books, some spare soccer clothes I kept in a desk drawer just in case, A chick-fil-a cow that says “lose that burger belly” some random postcards, two business card binders which I have carried with me from job to job. A piece of goofy card art that Joe left behind and I now intend to return to him, and various other small items that had collected on my desk. Except for the grunties which I had been collecting lately and those I left behind for dawn. In fact I decorated/hid them at her desk, so she will find them when she gets back from her travels. But I am pretty sure I got everything else…

Shit! I think I left my fishing calendar up on the wall. F’. I’ll have to ask someone to retrieve that for me.

Well after spending a good hour cleaning out my desk I cleaned off my computer, pushing all my work related files out to the server, into all the appropriate places. (After all why make it hard for my former coworkers to do their jobs, it is going to be hard enough already.) Then I went to lunch with Ashley and when I came back turned in all my stuff, cel phone, laptop, key fob, I had already turned in my Company credit card earlier last week, but that’s another story. And walked out of the building a Free Man!

4 Comments:

Blogger TheGirard said...

I have your Booq bag. I promise to return it as soon as possible.

9:53 AM, June 30, 2005  
Blogger Aussie-Askew said...

Art is on it's way to the second floor today, Mike O' Brien's area (it is nearly impossible to refer to any area in the building without an ex-employee's name!). Reason? Too bright upstairs. Funny part? Anyone who worked there could have told them, but in true Decipher management fashion, the same old people got together in a dark room with whatever hearsay they had on them, and then just told everyone their decision. :)

3:55 PM, June 30, 2005  
Blogger thisismarcus said...

I realized last night that I left about 4 dozen personal pics in iPhoto on my old machine. Bitch!!

6:58 PM, June 30, 2005  
Blogger Major Rakal said...

Geez, when I got laid off, I had to turn in my key fob immediately. They actually let you keep yours for 6 days?

9:39 PM, June 30, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home