Sunday, August 14, 2005

The New Job

So I have been promising to write about and some people have been asking, “How’s the new job?” well here you go…

The new job is extremely challenging, I started right in the middle of the peak season for the art dept, Packaging Season, and we are busy! There is no downtime, there are no periods of boredom interspersed with short bursts of energy. This new job is hard charging excitement.

I work hard everyday, from the moment I get in till the time I leave; and then sometimes at home as well. But I wouldn’t have it any other way, I love what I do. I love that I was lucky enough to have been afforded the opportunity to keep doing what I love, for a company that is positioned to continue to grow, for what looks like a long time to come.

There was some time there at the end of my tenure with my previous company when I considered quitting and going off to grad school to get my teaching degree. After all there were no challenges left in that job, I had pulled off the craziest thing they had ever tasked me with and everything else seemed to be cake comparatively.

Well now the challenges are back, there is so much to do, and so many opportunities to learn things I didn’t realize I didn’t know before. I am truly doing package design, it’s not the same tuck box, display or overwrap w/ new graphics. These are totally new packaging configurations for unique products. This is an opportunity to improve an art dept. that is already good, and has so much potential to be great.

And so I am excited again. I have put grad school on the back burner for now. I get up at 5 am during the week excited to take on the challenges that await me. I get in before most people in that company and leave long after them.

Now you and I both know I can’t keep up this pace, but there in lies another beautiful thing about this new company. There is a hard and fast schedule to be kept. Packaging season doesn’t last forever as many of the products are direct import to major mass merchants that will not tolerate the idea that you didn’t deliver the product on time. You don’t deliver and your done. This is the schedule, end of the discussion. I welcome that. I know what dates I have to shoot for, I know what early is, I know what on time is, and I know that late is truly LATE.

I know now that I got truly lucky in landing this job. As this looks to be the right place for me at this point in my career, there is structure, there are deadlines, and there are reasonable expectations. The corporate structure I am still getting used to. The deadlines I am working through. And the reasonable expectations, well I am going to exceed those by a long shot.

4 Comments:

Blogger Shocho said...

I've seen him in action folks, and I do think this is a great fit for the guy. When he gets things working the way he wants, it's gonna be awesome.

And he would make a great teacher, too.

5:49 AM, August 15, 2005  
Blogger The Information Officer said...

Thanks.

I appreciate the vote of confidence.

8:13 PM, August 15, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

whaaa? no grad skool? silly silly goose...

1:22 AM, August 19, 2005  
Blogger The Information Officer said...

I would be silly not to take advantage of the opportunity to learn from this company.

There is a lot there to learn. And they are willing to pay me during my education.

Show me a Grad school that is willing to do that.

5:49 AM, August 19, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home