Friday, December 23, 2005

Vegetarian... TOOTHPASTE

So over lunch a couple of weeks back it comes up that there are animal products in toothpaste. This fact I would then promptly forget, not really wanting to know which animal product it is.

Then last week I bring in a new freelancer who is a vegetarian and for some reason I ask, "oh what toothpaste do you use?" THinking of course if she is vegetarian she must be up to date on the animal products in toothpaste debate.

Now, why on earth I thought that I have no idea, I just figured Vegetarians end up doing a lot of research cause there are quite a few products that have animal products in them you would never think would have them. A la the toothpaste question.

She says "crest" I say "oh, doesn't that one have animal products in it"

"THERE ARE ANIMAL PRODUCTS IN MY TOOTHPASTE! What animal product do they think is going to make it clean my teeth better!?!"

So then I try to let the subject drop and go back to work, wishing I could take back the moment, when I told her there were animal products in her toothpaste. (filter wasn't working that time)

Not really knowing enough about it to let her know what it really was only that I heard there were animal products in there, I suggest she do an internet search later.


"Toothpaste Ingredients

A major point to understand in reference to toothpastes is that glycerin can come from pig or cow in addition to plants.

Crest says they will be going to use glycerin from a vegetarian source in the future, which means that it is made from animal ingredient right now.

Sensodyne uses animal (beef).

Colgate has a list of the toothpastes that they make which are vegetarian. Click Here to view the letter from Colgate listing the toothpaste product they produce made with vegetarian ingredients.

Arm & Hammer baking soda toothpaste, no animal products (have been environmentally friendly for over 100 years, peta reports they do animal testing, though)

Tom's of Maine very environmentally friendly and animal FREE in their toothpaste.




Wow, the things you can learn on the internet...

3 Comments:

Blogger Brad said...

Not all Arm&Hammer is veggie legal either. :( Just more things to watch for.

10:07 AM, December 23, 2005  
Blogger The Information Officer said...

Why the hell do they use animal products anyway, when you can use plants to make it ?!?

9:53 PM, December 23, 2005  
Blogger jenifer lake said...

phew! i got a little worried, i'm a colgate girl unless i feel like splurging for tom's cinnamon flavor...but rest assured folks, my colgate cavity protection regular flavor is animal free!!!! hoo-ray!

11:13 PM, December 23, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home