Monday, August 22, 2005

And so it begins

Tonight I woke up at 3 am unable to get back to sleep. So what does one do when you can't sleep at such an hour.

Well I surfed e-bay for a squash racket. Yup, a squash racket!

A long time ago when I was in middle school and lived in a different country. My family belonged to the Kobe Club, and they had Squash courts, no not raquette ball courts but squash courts. Although maybe somebody played raquette ball on them, mostly it was squash.

And my father was one of those people who played, as one is apt to do when you have such things available. Now I am not sure how good he was, after all I was just a kid and as far I was concerned he was a pro. He certainly could whip up on me whenever we hit it together; which wasn't often. This was however my first introduction to squash, the games I played with my dad at the Kobe Club. During that time thought I think I would much rather have been at the pool than playing squash, so I never really developed any skills to speak of, much less remembering any of the rules.

Well recently I have joined the city of Norfolk's new "City club", though I am not sure what they have named it. I might just start calling it "the Club" for fun. They bought the old Jewish Community Center (JCC for you locals) and opened it up to residents for a mere $75 a year.

Now what should they happen to have, besides a swimming pool where I intend to swim laps, but raquette(sic) ball courts! Which could easily serve as squash courts and since I have a ready and willing opponent in the Aussie Askew; it is time to locate a racket!

Now being honest, it was the Aussie who has pushed for the game. This isn't something I intiated, he has asked on more than one occassion when are we going to play. Don't take it from my post that I am a squash player who has been languishing over the years with no place to play. Really I am no squash player at all, the fact is that I know I am in for a sure trouncing, and that has had me dragging my competitive feet a bit. But now the time has come to find a racket and a really sloooooow ball, so we can play a game or five. Better be closer to five at the cost of the equip. we are going to have to buy and I am really sort of looking forward to it.

well back to bed then I have to get up in about an hour and a half. I'll lket you know when I buy the racket. How do you spell that? can you spell it both those ways? And why do I think you do? I'll also have to look into that tomorrow.

2 Comments:

Blogger Aussie-Askew said...

Squash.. *cough* RACQUET *cough*

12:46 PM, August 22, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your father was a Japan-ranked B+ player. Good but not top rank. Not enough time to practice. I`m still a member of the Kobe Club, by the way, and if you get out this way, bring your racquet and I`ll set you up a game. NOT with me!!

Your Father

2:40 PM, August 24, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home