Wednesday, December 28, 2005

and then I Called classic shaving dot com


NewV4_Satin
Originally uploaded by doornumbertwo.

So I got an e-mail from classic shaving dot com which is the place I have been ordering quite a few products from and home to the infamous Ray Dupont and here's what they said...


Hi Edmund,

Looking at your order we guess that you found us on MSNBC Today Show link.

While the "Hefty Classic" is a fine beginners razor, we really recommend one of the adjustable blade razors: Vision, Futur, or Progress.... The Vision, of course, being the most infinitely adjustable.

But no matter which razor you buy, we welcome you to wet shaving,...come on in, the water's fine.

Customer Service Team
ClassicShaving.com



So after reading the message I called them to find out what they suggested I might buy instead and got to talk to Ray's daughter Danielle on the phone. We chatted for a bit and then she said she ought to have technical support call me back, to answer some of my questions. At which point she said she'll have Ray might call, back, this is in effect like talking to the dali Lama of shaving. ON top of the fact I thought that Ray might have passed on based on his post on the straight razor forum. So upon hearing this I have to admit I got a little excited as I waited for the call, but sadness, fifteen minutes later, no call from Ray...


AND THEN the phone rang, and it was Ray! And we talked about razors for a little bit and he convinced me to buy an adjustable instead of the Hefty Classic. Which adjustable was really dependent on how much I could afford.

But the one that he really likes and has in his bathroom is the "vision" and since this guy is pretty much the man with the plan in the shaving world. I gave it a lot of thought and took his advice, I bought the vision, well the vision 4 piece set really. After all this should be the only time I ever need to purchase any equipment, hopefully from here on out I am only buying blades. As I can't afford to do this again, but as they say you only live once so you might as well enjoy it.

So that brings the equipment list to:

Proraso Shaving Cream $9.99

Taylor of Old Bond Street Shaving Soap in Wooden Bowl $24.99

DOVO Block Alum Styptic $12.99

Nancy boy Super shaver combo $49.00

Merkur "Double-Edge" SS Platinum Blades $4.59

Vision 4 piece set $259.00

So what started out as an innocent exploration into getting a better shave has ended up costing me about $360.56

WTF has come over me, this always happens!

Whenever I really get into something I can never go into it half-assed. Instead I do a little research and then jump in with both feet. Well here's to hoping the waters great!

Oh! and Ray said when I got my razor to give him a call if I wanted and he would talk me through how to get the best shave ever. I can't wait to call him back. ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home