Saturday, August 27, 2005

Changes to the Jeep

Today one of my projects was to install my new TUFFY Security box this was in reaction to somebody cutting through my driver side window and breaking into my jeep. I am sure by now you have worked out the jeep is a soft top so it should maybe come as no surprise that somebody broke into it. Unless of course…

And here's the KICKER, I never lock my jeep. If you want something open the door and take it. I do this so nobody feels the need to CUT MY WINDOW!

So this week my new Tuffy security box arrived and this morning I installed it. It is practically bullet proof. Now this in now way prevents my jeep from getting broken into and in fact I still leave the doors unlocked. It merely prevents the casual thief from taking anything as it is all locked into my security box. This would include my sunglasses and any paraphernalia that Kelly might bring into the jeep and want to leave in their while we go into a restaurant, mall, movie theater whatever. Before the response was if you like it take it with you. Now I feel fairly confident it will be there when I get back, and if it isn’t, it’s cause somebody stole the whole jeep.

Now this may still seem weird, why not get an alarm ?!? why would one continue to leave the doors unlocked after being broken into/Vandalized and instead get a security box.

Well I considered the alarm thing. But I really feel that car alarms are more annoying then anything. Nobody pays attention to them except to get aggravated and annoyed when they go off in the middle of the night. And I almost never park anywhere near where I am going to be thus I will not hear it go off. So I felt a car alarm just wasn’t going to do it. But a 16-gauge steel reinforced box, well at least I can keep my sunglasses in the Jeep now.

The image on top is the new box (16 gauge steel) below it is the original plastic lock box that came with the jeep. Notice how well the new box blends in. Gotta love that when it is all said and done and the job looks good. If I do say so myself. ;)


Tuffy_boxINstalled2


Jeep_Inside2

1 Comments:

Blogger Aussie-Askew said...

Your attempt to minimize break-ins by leaving the cqar unlocked would be flawless, if only those reverting to a life of car thievery had a more than a few synapses to rub together!

Nice photos of the job btw. Thought I was on a Jeep Appreciation site for a minute there...

12:24 PM, September 06, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home