Sunday, September 11, 2005

Adding to the Cubicle Village

So Saturday I enlisted the aid of Bookworm, SuperBuck, FS SmithGrind, and theMusicMan to enlarge the art area. In some corporate circles this is known as "The Land Grab"

You may be asking why I didn't just get the guys who work in maintenance at the place I work for to do this...

Well they are booked up till October, currently working on the retooling of the "RotoMolder" which is used in the warehouse to make all sorts of products. So it was up to me to do it, if I wanted it done anytime soon(before next year).

Seeing as I wanted to hire a package designer soon and have a place for everyone to sit, it was obvious to me I was going to need some more space. And before next year. Therefor I decided to take this on myself, as I am apt to do. luckily for me I enlisted help, cause as it turns out I could never have done it alone. The task larger than at first it seemed. So saturday morning 10:30 am the fun began...

We began as you would with any re-model, we removed all the "stuff" that was cluttering up the work area. Then we dove into the assembly.

Looking at the way Cubicles are set up you wouldn't think it too hard to figure out...

right.

It seems that when they were designing cubicles they decided they should use one of every different type of available fastener in the process. We had allen wrenches, phillips head screw drivers, as well as the square head; I have no idea what it is called. No torx though, so I guess that is not every kind, but as we were assembling we would be trading tools in order to complete any part of the process. silly engineers tricks are for kids.

Real engineers would have done it all with one type of fastener.

Anway after much toiling and some sweating, we got stage one done. We have claimed more of the "open area" for the Art Dept. and established another work area for the auxillary work force I keep employing.

Without which I would be drowning under the workload that we in the Art dept. have to do. There is no way we could have accomplished the tasks at hand without the auxillary work force coming in and getting things done. But this is what they have asked me to do. Handle it as best as you can with the people on staff and what you can't handle freelance out and get it done that way.

Since the day I arrived at the new job I have heard, eventually the work slows down. This I can believe, but what I don't believe is that there is ever a period where we won't have enough work to do. When people say it slows down there seems to be an underlying inference in the statement that at some point we in the Art dept. will get to a point where we have nothing to do, where we are bored. This I just don't see.

But I do hope to get it all to a point where I get to create something. Where the management of the process isn't so overwhelming, so consuming that I don't get to make any Art at all. As this is where I am right now. But I hope this isn't how it is going to stay, cause if it is, I don't think I will be staying at least not for long.

So I need to get it back to a point where I too get to do a project or two. Where I too get to create something, where I get to make art. Not fine art mind you that I can do at home on my free time. But graphic art, art that sells things, art that affects consumer perception, art that positions and markets a product.

I like making fine art, but I love making graphic art!

This is why I am making room for more people. I need these people to get the job done. Whether they are full time or freelance, I need four people during packaging season, to accomplish what is asked of the Art Dept. Right now I have three sometimes four, two full timers, singlebuck and then sometimes theAccessorizer.

But I am making plans for expansion and making room for more people. This stage of expansion was just the beginning.



expansionstation.jpg
Originally uploaded by doornumbertwo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home